Illustration James Dorrian 2015
ML 443 as modified for 'CHARIOT' with a single 20mm Oerlikon cannon mounted forward and aft. The number 13 applied for the raid only. Depth-charges were not to be carried, and the dinghy normally stored on deck amidships was removed. Lighter anti-aircraft defences varied from boat to boat, but included post-mounted Lewis-guns amidships and Vickers Gas-Operated machine-guns mounted on the bridge-wings. The deck-mounted fuel tanks occupied most of the space either side of the superstructure, and were negotiated via steps at either end.
DESIGNER - The Fairmile Marine Company
LENGTH - 112'
DISPLACEMENT - 67-80 tons
DRAUGHT - 4' 10" forward: 5' 1/2" aft
POWER - Two Hall-Scott 600 hp 12-cylinder
'Defender' engines, petrol fuelled
SPEED - 16 kts continuous, 21 kts maximum
RANGE - 1,500 nautical miles at 12 kts
FUEL CAPACITY - 2,305 gallons (internal)
STEERING - Lockheed hydraulic
HULL and FRAME CONSTRUCTION - Wood
28th ML Flotilla
* (turned back)
20th ML Flotilla
7th ML Flotilla
All material contained in this site is subject to copyright and must not be reproduced in any format without the consent of the relevant copyright holder
The Fairmile 'B-Type' Motor Launch overview
ML 443 photographed during the Raid. Captained by Lieutenant K.M. Horlock, and carrying demolition teams destined for the Power-Station target group, she was one of only three attacking boats to return, successfully reaching Falmouth in company with Lieutenant Tom Boyd's ML 160 and Lieutenant Norman Wallis' ML 307: the 443 later served in the Mediterranean, and was present at the surrender of the Italian Fleet, in 1943.